KENYA TRAIN BOOKING
This booking service is ideal for someone who doesn’t reside in Kenya but wishes to book a train ticket before they arrive. We will be able to do it for you. After booking the ticket, and reference number we will send it to you via email. You can then print the ticket on the day of the travel at the station. Residents are also welcome to book through us. For more information on how to book the train, please click here
It is not merely a train ride but a cruise with an opportunity to view Kenya’s spectacular landscapes and witness interesting tourist attractions along the way.
TRAIN DEPARTURES AND STATIONS
Currently, there are three departures every day to and from Mombasa.
The two main stations in Nairobi and Mombasa are the Nairobi terminus located in the Syokimau area of Nairobi County which is 20 kilometers from the city center. Mombasa Terminus is located in the Miritini area of Mombasa County 11 kilometers from Mombasa CBD.
- The Inter-county train runs in the morning and makes stopovers at various points. They include Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Mtito Andei, Voi, Miasenyi, and Mariakani county stations.
- The Express train does not stop along the way during the journey.
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR KENYA TRAIN BOOKING NAIROBI-MOMBASA
- Passengers can purchase a ticket up to sixty (60) days in advance and a return ticket. This is as long as it is within the sixty (60) days window period.
- Group bookings (over 20 pax) must be made sixty-two (62) days before the date of travel.
- You are encouraged to get to the train station no later than 60 minutes before departure. This is for an easy check-in and boarding experience.
- Passengers are also requested to note that the final call for boarding the train is made 11 minutes before departure. The gates to the platform close 10 minutes before departure time.
- Passengers are advised to have original identification documents when booking over the counter and during the journey. Where one has lost or misplaced the National Identity Card, the following may be used. Passport, Driving license, or a Police Abstract and Waiting Card.
- Kids between 3-11 years traveling with adults will pay half fare.
- Children over 11 years old must pay the full ticket price.
- However children aged 3 years and below are not required to have a ticket.
- We also allow a maximum of 30 kg of luggage on the train. Therefore it should not measure more than 1.6 m in height, width, and breadth.
KENYA SGR TRAIN SITTING ARRANGEMENT
First class sitting arrangement Second/economy class sitting arrangement The Train
4 DAYS MOMBASA BEACH HOLIDAY WITH TRAIN EXPERIENCE
4 days Mombasa beach holiday takes you to the coast side with a fun ride in the SGR train. You will experience relaxing moments at the hotel with time at the beach and other water activities. Mombasa beach hotel is set on the most beautiful white sandy beaches on the north coast of Kenya. Coconut palms and a myriad of exotic trees and flowers shade the expansive compound. Their all-inclusive package offers the ultimate tropical paradise.
With its comfortable and spacious rooms, Mombasa beach hotel offers a delightful “home away from home”. All the rooms have sea-facing balconies. Traveling by the Kenya train is a beautiful and a sort after the experience. It is a safari by itself. As you leave Nairobi it will not be long before you start encountering Kenya wildlife as you by some of the most popular parks in Kenya. The train ride also brings you to the sight of Africa’s tallest Mountain, Mt Kilimanjaro. The train ride provides an unforgettable vista.
For more information and cost, please click here
HISTORY OF THE KENYA RAILWAY
A Kalenjin prophet spoke of an iron snake that would be slithering its way across the land devouring cattle and causing destruction along the way. He said the beast would bring a foreigner who would rule over the local population. The iron line turned out to be the Kenya Uganda railway line or the Lunatic express.
The railway line was constructed when the Europeans were scrambling for Africa towards the end of the 19th Century. At the time they had trading posts along the coast but few had ventured into the hostile interior of the country. The construction of the Kenyan railway began in the Port city of Mombasa in 1896. It was completed in 1901 at the terminus of the line in Kisumu. Operations on the line commenced in 1903. The Lunatic Line linked Kampala in Uganda with the Indian Ocean town of Mombasa.
NAIROBI SGR PRIVATE TRANSFERS
Kichaka tours also provide private transfers to and from Nairobi SGR. If you book a private transfer with us, it is simply that – private and exclusively yours whether you are two, four, or five people. No sharing with others, no waiting at the airport or your hotel, just a trusted & reliable service. we offer private train station transfers to and from all the city hotels in Nairobi.
Our SGR private transfers are a pleasant way to be driven to and from the train station. All of our transfers are met by our drivers who are all experienced and have a vast knowledge of the local areas. The driver will help you with your luggage and will drive you to your destination.
To book, write us an email and specify the date and time of the transfer, the number of people in your group, the flight number if the pick-up is from the airport, the hotel address or name, and other details of the trip. Leave your contact details and we will respond immediately with charges, availability details, and all the information we need for the reservation.